Monday, January 19, 2015

Jan 21 & 25th

It was fantastic skiing in the Methow.  Congratulations to all the racers: Gwynie, Gavin, Isak, Jed & Uhuru.  Racing is a great way to challenge yourself and improve.  I told these racers that I have been first and I have been last in races.  The races I am most proud of are not those I won- they are the ones where I did something I previously thought was impossible.  Usually it was faster people who helped me have these breakthroughs.  The Methow races were challenging, with strong skiers and difficult courses.  Gwynie, Gavin, Isak, Jed and Uhuru did a great job representing Ellensburg.  Uhuru and Jed ended up making the podium (top 3) in their respective races.  People are getting used to seeing those bright yellow suits!

Over the weekend we had sun, powder, a rainbow, actual rain, then snow and more sun.  It was fantastic skiing.

On to this week:

Wednesday: Cabin Creek SKATING.  Depart EHS parking lot 3:30 (sooner if we can).  Skate until 5:45, Return 6:45. Last week was fantastic skiing- and it was fun to be out there with other junior teams: both The Bush School and Momentum Northwest were out- so there were LOTS of headlamps out there!  Bring a headlamp.  Last week we had plenty of space for all skiers (so parents shouldn't have to drive.)

Sunday: EITHER 10AM-noon SKATING at Cabin Creek or Jente Loppet at Hyak (if it happens- the website has not been updated).  The Jente Loppet is primarily a women's race but has offered a nice race for youth under 18.  I'll update the page when I hear more.

Finally, looking way ahead, Spokane is hosting a weekend of junior races Feb 28-Mar 1 and the Spokane Nordic Challenge (20k, 30km, and 50k options).  Several skiers participated in this event last year and had a wonderful time.  If you are interested send me an email.  Last year we all stayed at Bear Creek Lodge, which was very convenient to the skiing.   If we want to repeat this experience we should start making lodging arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment